It is the policy of the School of Professional Psychology (SOPP) to annually evaluate the performance of SOPP students to determine that they are developing the competencies necessary for the practice of psychology and matriculating successfully in the program.
In the fall of each academic year, faculty will meet to discuss the performance of all SOPP students, excluding those currently on internship. The Office of Academic Affairs communicates directly with faculty and students to facilitate this process.
Informal Review of First Year Student Performance. The first phase of the annual performance review process consists of an Informal Review of First Year Student Performance. After students complete their first semester in the program, faculty meet to assess each first-year student’s progress and their assimilation into the program as new SOPP students. This is done early on to identify any students who may need additional support or resources to continue successfully in the program and to provide assistance where needed. If any concerns or issues are identified, the student’s academic advisor follows up with the student to discuss his/her status in the program and offer guidance and support.
Annual Review of Student Performance.
The second phase of the student evaluation process is a formal, documented process to evaluate second, third, and fourth year students. The Office of Academic Affairs (OAA) instructs students and faculty on the steps to be completed in the evaluation process, as follows:
- The student completes the Professional Competency Self-Assessment.
- The student meets with his/her Academic Advisor to review the self-assessment and discuss overall performance in the most recent academic year
- The Academic Advisor completes a preliminary Annual Performance Review form prior to the scheduled faculty review meeting. The OAA provides the Academic Advisor with important performance data to include the student’s current GPA and Practicum scores for the most recent academic year for consideration in the evaluation.
- The Academic Advisor presents the student’s performance data at the Faculty review meeting, adds additional information gleaned from faculty to the evaluation form, then signs and submits the completed evaluation form to the OAA. This form is retained in the student's academic file.
- The Associate Dean in cooperation with the Office of Academic Affairs will notify each student of general feedback from the student review. Students will be encouraged to discuss specific feedback with their Academic Advisor.
- In the event a significant performance issue(s) arises during the faculty review meeting, the Academic Advisor will meet with the student to provide remediation, etc. as prescribed on the evaluation form. Any additional information bearing on the student’s performance that is gathered subsequent to the advisor-student feedback session should be provided to the OAA for the student’s academic file.
Forms used by faculty and students to document the annual performance review process are appended to this document. Completed forms are maintained as part of the student’s academic file in the Office of Academic Affairs.